Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) explained he is issuing a stay-at-home order statewide due to the coronavirus. However, DeSantis said he was reluctant because most of the COVID-19 cases are in southeast Florida while there are counties with over half a million people that only have a handful of cases.
"Well just so your viewers know, southeast Florida has about 60% of our cases," DeSantis said to FOX News host Neil Cavuto. "We have done stay-at-home in conjunction with the mayor of Miami-Dade. They’ve been under restrictions for a couple weeks now. I have counties with half a million people that have only a handful of cases, so we have not done it statewide, but in our hotspot that had been done."
"Now with the President doing the next 30 days, my view is that we hit the pause button," the governor said Wednesday. "We’ve hit the pause button, this is the number one, two, three priority. I know there was talk about getting the economy back a little sooner, but I think that unless we just deal with this it makes sense to do this statewide. And obviously, we have a lot of parts of Florida that haven’t been hit as hard as Miami or Broward, but we want to keep it that way, and we don’t want to see more spread in those areas. It’s just southeast Florida that’s our epicenter. We’ve put a lot of resources down there. We don’t want there to be a massive surge; obviously, but we’ve got a lot of resources staged there, so I think it’s the best policy for the state at this time."