Sam Donaldson: Trump Core Supporters "Ignorant," "Don't Care About The Facts Or Know About The Facts" | Video | RealClearPolitics

Sam Donaldson: Trump Core Supporters "Ignorant," "Don't Care About The Facts Or Know About The Facts"

|

Veteran reporter Sam Donaldson said it is up to the American people to be interested in the impeachment inquiry of President Donald Trump if they want him impeached and removed.

"Guys out there and gals, if you want the president removed he will be," Donaldson said. "If you don't, I don't care what the evidence shows. I don't care what anybody says. He won't be."





On CNN Monday night, Donaldson told host Don Lemon that there are 30% of Trump supporters in the country and "the rest of us" make up the remaining 70%. Donaldson said "hardcore" Trump backers are "ignorant" and don't care about the facts.

"If enough Americans -- remember, Trump has 30%, 31% of hardcore. They'll follow him to hell or wherever he is going," Donaldson said. "They don't care about the facts. They don't know about the facts. Okay. They're fine people, except they're ignorant about these things that we're talking about and they will not budge on that."

"They're 70% of the rest of us," he said. "If enough of those people decide there's something important here and they think the president ought to be removed he will be. But of course if they think it shouldn't happen and the poll you cited is not near enough support to sustain conviction in the Senate, it won't happen."

The former ABC News reporter also shared a story about why the late Senator Robert Byrd (D-WV) decided to vote against removing President Bill Clinton from office. Byrd acknowledged Clinton did commit perjury, but he did not vote yes on that charge citing the president's popularity with the American people.

"Probably was the right vote," Donaldson said, commenting on Byrd's decision not to convict the president.

DON LEMON, CNN HOST: This new Quinnipiac University poll puts support for impeachment and removal at 46 with 48 against it. How much public support is needed for Republicans to flip?

SAM DONALDSON, FORMER CBS NEWS CORRESPONDENT: Much more support than that. The FOX poll says 51% think it's an inquiry and it should be pursued and all of this. It's just starting but it's moving so fast. And we'll see whether there's enough time for Americans out there who are busy with their lives doing other things, not even watching your show to get interested in it. To think it's not just a bunch of politicians squabbling in Washington. I'm tired of that. But there's something going on here.

If enough Americans -- remember, Trump has 30%, 31% of hardcore. They'll follow him to hell or wherever he is going. They don't care about the facts. They don't know about the facts. Okay. They're fine people, except they're ignorant about these things that we're talking about and they will not budge on that.

They're 70% of the rest of us. If enough of those people decide there's something important here and they think the president ought to be removed he will be. But of course if they think it shouldn't happen and the poll you cited is not near enough support to sustain conviction in the Senate, it won't happen.

Let me just give you a little story. And that is about Robert C. Byrd, senior [Senator] Democrat from West Virginia. Clinton is being impeached and being tried in the Senate and two weeks they'll vote. And, my dear professional companion Cokie Roberts asked him the question: Senator, how are you going to vote on Article One? It's on perjury. Perjury is a felony. They said he lied to the federal judge under oath. And Byrd said, and I quote him directly because it's emblazed in my mind, "Who is kidding whom? Of course he committed perjury. But the people seem to like him. They don't want him removed and I don't know how I'm going to vote." And of course in two weeks he voted no. Which probably was the right vote. It's up to the American people. Guys out there and gals, if you want the president removed he will be. If you don't, I don't care what the evidence shows. I don't care what anybody says. He won't be.

Comment
Show comments Hide Comments

Latest Political Videos

Video Archives