« Ryan Guilty | The RCP Blog Home Page | Has the Illinois GOP Finally Bottomed Out? »

Duke Update - Indictments or Not?

UPDATE: Now NBC is reporting the grand jury did return indictments against two Duke lacrosse players today but the judge sealed them.

UPDATE II: ABC News exclusive: guard who saw alleged victim on the night/morning of March 13/14 says there were no signs or mentions of rape.

The AP via the Durham Herald Sun reports:

A grand jury adjourned Monday without returning any public indictments against Duke University lacrosse team players, but a defense attorney said the panel did consider the rape allegations against them.

Eighty-one indictments were returned by the panel. It was unclear whether possible indictments in the Duke case may have been under seal or among the 24 cases "carried forward" to be heard at a later date. The grand jury did not reject any indictments on Monday.

And here's the report from the Raleigh News Observer:

A Durham grand jury issued a list of indictments this afternoon that did not include members of the Duke University lacrosse team.

But Superior Court Judge Ronald Stephens at 3:30 p.m. filed a court paper stating that he had sealed an indictment, after the grand jury had left for the day and issued its list. Stephens cited a law that allows judges to seal an indictment until a defendant is arrested or appears before the court.

We'll have to wait and see exactly what this means. For more, see my post from earlier this morning.